Tuesday, June 17, 2014

They were also environmental back in the day ...


Lovely summer so for some reason thinking of silly poetry from my childhood & youth.
Author unknown from an anthology for kids:

I love the good old world, I do.
I sing its praise in song & sonnet.
Strange it's not a whole lot worse,
With everybody picking on it.

That about says it today, not? Then there's that classic of sappiness & inverted tree-anatomy that we all had to study in grade school: Joyce Kilmer's TREES, which starts

I think that I shall never see

A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

It gets even dumber because if the tree's mouth is at the bottom, that "nest of robins in its hair" must be pubic hair, since apparently the tree is standing on its head on Mother Nature's boobies. You don't think about that stuff in 4th grade, but the sappiness comes through & we all ran around making up parodies (which I have mercifully forgotten). But what can you expect from an unfortunate whose mommy named him Joyce? He is at least modest enough to admit, "Poems are made by fools like me". I do remember the brilliant poet of silliness Ogden Nash's inspired take: The Song of the Open Highway

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
In fact, unless a billboard falls,
I shall not see a tree at all.

Ah yes, they were also environmental back there in the 50s when we thought it was all about progress & earning a bundle after the war. Which inspires me to compose my own poem, on the subject of the TV programming here in Denmark. Meaning no disrespect for the brave soldiers & civilian sufferers of that colossal tragedy, but:

I think that I shall never see
The final documentaree
About horrific World War II,
But think it's about time,
Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment